Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Finally! Visiting DIG Nursery on Vashon Island…


Sometimes when you’ve heard a lot about a place, and then finally get to see it for yourself, the reality doesn’t quite live up to the hype. This is especially awkward when you’ve talked a friend into coming along with you. Thankfully I found DIG Nursery to be everything it was promised to be and more.

And my friend Erin was thrilled just to meet Sophie, so she was happy too…

The life of a nursery dog is such a rough one...they lay around soaking up the sun and the adoration of shoppers.

Did the cute dog blind you to the fabulous structure she calls her home away from home? Page back up and check it out...and now admire these concrete squares planted with all sorts of ground covers...

This is not a nursery where the plants are the only attraction. In fact I bet you could take a non-gardener here and they'd still have plenty to look at. The creative lady behind the nursery, Sylvia Matlock, has skillfully divided the large space to create smaller intimate "rooms" where there are cool plants as well as interesting structures and materials which cause you to pause and think...

Here's the treasure I took home, Colletia hystrix also known as Crucifixion Thorn or Barbed Wire Bush. I couldn't have left without it right?

There's a large greenhouse on the grounds which I'm sure must be full over the winter months. During our visit it held a colorful assortment of plants and other items.

We had to walk through twice because there are so many layers you could miss something the first time.

Back outside I surveyed the landscape and was a bit overwhelmed...so instead of heading "out there" I took a left.

And discovered this upside-down stock tank providing shade and no doubt cover from rain too.

Just to the side was a double-decker stock tank planting...

This is an interesting combination. If you want a vine to grow up a slick corrugated wall this would be a great way to make it happen.

The gabion walls and overhead beams make this open space feel intimate.

Up-close of the gabion...

It's always exciting to look out and see a Tetrapanax forest beyond...

Okay we're heading back out into the main part of the nursery...

I believe the burgundy foliage is a euphorbia, nice with the blue grass eh?

Don't the hanging blooms look like dandelions?

Wow...I couldn't get over to check out that "tree" fast enough. Unfortunately all my pictures were bad and I forgot to ask exactly what it is.

The foliage...

Amazing! The truck was gorgeous but I didn't get a good shot in focus. Damn.

Can you believe how much there is to see here?

Layers upon layers of gorgeous.

Imagine a table and chairs under that arching trellis covered in a flowering vine...

I wanted it all.

I wonder if anyone has every tried to buy this planting as is...

I wish I would have gotten an better photo of the signage, it was wonderful.

Ah, be still my heart.

I'm not sure which Restio this is but it was very nice.

As were these happy leaves.

Looking at this set-up...

I could just imagine all sorts of things my brothers and I (when we were younger) would have sent floating down those streams.

Inside the office was a fine collection of plants and other items.

My only regret? That Vashon Island, and thus DIG, isn't in my normal path to, or from, anywhere. Still I imagine I'll make it a destination again someday...(soon)...

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment