Thursday, June 27, 2013

A little creative reuse in my garden…

If you’ve read this blog for any length of time you know I’m not a fan of garden art. Need a focal point? That’s what the plants are for, sculpture and the like are just taking up space where another plant could be! I do however appreciate the skill of those who can take a piece of cast-off junk and make it useful. A rusty bucket doubling as a planter, a large piece of industrial metal used as a trellis or “room divider,” doing this successfully requires a certain attitude…and a dedication. A dedication I just don’t have, which is why I was afraid this wouldn’t work…

But it does!

At least I think so.

Andrew and I were at our local ReBuilding Center looking for a piece of wood he needed for a project, he was also trying to track down one more planter that wasn’t a planter for his office. We were digging through piles of stuff when he found this metal gooseneck fuel funnel. There was something about it; I just had to have it.

Coincidently I had an Agave montana 'Baccarat' that needed a home.

I think I like it because you don’t realize what it is until you get close, it’s subtle.

Andrew also found something that worked for him, an old piece of ductwork. I initially threw it aside because it had duct tape on it making it undesirable, or so I thought. Turns out it was a bonus for him.

It’s a long story how he went from just a single planter on the table to two…but they look good together. The short one is actually sold as a planter, still it made the creativity cut.

Especially since it was the perfect size for the pair of Euphorbia polygona cv. 'Snowflake' we’d purchased online for him.

(He’d tried to talk me out of the plants I purchased in New Mexico last January but I wasn’t falling for it. If you are in the market for those ghostly Euphorbia and can't find them locally I can’t say enough good things about these plants and the way they were shipped...order them here)

Sharing space with the euphorbia is a Pachypodium succulentum…

And in the duct work planter…a Drunkards Dream (Rhipsalis salicornioides). You can see why they call it that, millions of tiny bottles!

I think the new planters work well with the old.

By the way I want to thank everyone who voted for our entries in the “That’s So Potted” contest. Neither one of us made it to the finals but it was fun trying.

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment