Thursday, July 25, 2013

Where the aeoniums are…

I bet you think this is another post about a garden in California...

Nope. This one is right here in Oregon, Portland to be exact...

Those of you familiar with Thomas Hobbs books Shocking Beauty or The Jewel Box Garden might have done a double take and thought for just a moment this was his old home and garden.

Turns out the owner is aware of the resemblance, having been introduced to the books when shopping for plants and asking advice at Portland Nursery.

I was introduced to this garden by my plant lust partner Patricia (it pays to have garden spies!), she recommended I stop by and check it out so I did. As luck would have it the owner was unpacking the car having just returned from a weekend away and was willing to talk plants with a stranger.

I've never seen such happy aeoniums here in the PNW...

Nice that the twin yucca both bloomed this year...

The current owners added these built-in planting areas along the front walk.

As you might imagine the tender plants get hauled inside for the winter.

The ones in the ground are dug up in the fall, replanted in the spring.

They seem pretty happy with this arrangement.

The (tiny) parking strip...

At first I missed the little agave pup tucked in among the sedum.

Containers along the driveway...



I was invited around back to see the work in progress of a new planting bed, water garden, and the perfect patio for turning into a winter greenhouse. Of course the view kept pulling my attention away from the garden...

Hopefully I'll be invited back to see how it all takes shape!

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment