Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Rodgersia 'Bronze Peacock' is my favorite plant in the garden this week…

While it’s true I’ve never met a Rodgersia that I don’t love Rodgersia 'Bronze Peacock' is extra special. Why you might ask? Because it continues to amaze with the color of its new foliage, even in July, when most all of my others have gone green…

I’ve got two plants, both with colorful new growth, and you might notice both tasty to leaf munchers...

I was going to feature this plant in mid June, however since it’s new in my garden this year I thought I’d hold off and see how it handled the heat. It’s a little less colorful than before but still has plenty of dark tones to keep me happy. The photo above was taken June 26th and below on July 6th (after enduring heat topping out at a sunny 97 degrees)…

Another before…

And after…

This particular Rodgersia is still pretty hard to find, Terra Nova lists is as "new for 2013" and I’ve only seen it in 3 nurseries, so grab it when you see it! Here’s their lust inducing description: "The darkest foliage of any Rodgersia. The leaves are thick, glossy, indented and make a great sculptural addition to your woodland garden. Pink flowers emerge in late spring above the mound. In spring, the huge bronze leaves emerge like a peacock's tail! An improvement of an underused, easy to grow perennial. Deep, bronze brown leaves feel like they were hammered out of an ancient metal alloy, so thick and glossy they can't be ignored. Large trusses of tiny pink flowers are a bonus in the spring. Equally dark and dramatic seed heads are long lasting and showy. Compact habit stays within bounds of container or garden. Very choice!"


The stats…
  • Clumping perennial in the Saxifragaceae family
  • USDA hardiness zones: 5-8 (colder climate gardeners rejoice!)
  • Eventual size: 22” tall, 28” wide
  • Prefers: rich, moist, well drained soil in a part shade location
  • Note: Rodgersia resent drought, but will tolerate dry conditions with some shade (according to the folks at Terra Nova)…


I can add, based on personal experience, any Rodgersia will let you know when they’re thirsty by getting all droopy. And if you've put them in too much sun their leaves will not hesitate to crisp up.

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment