Monday, July 15, 2013

Blooms for July…

When I was younger I was obsessed with birth-stones and birth-flowers (as well as horoscopes). I always felt a little cheated because my brother’s birthstones were the diamond and pearl while I was stuck with the ruby…yuck. Their flowers have never been favorites (daisy and rose) where as mine, larkspur, was (and still is) a virtual unknown to me.

However since July Bloomday in my garden always means Yucca filamentosa flowers (love them!) I’ve decided to adopt them as my official birth-flower, tradition be damned…Yucca flowers for July babies!

Even this Yucca filamentosa 'Color Guard' decided to get in on the celebration, this is the first year this plant has bloomed.

Here’s a glance at some of the other things blooming in my garden in July (in roughly alphabetical order too! Because that's how blogger uploaded them)...

Acanthus mollis

Agapanthus NOID

Alstroemeria isabellana

Crocosmia Lucifer

Echinops 'Arctic Glow'

Eryngium+agavifolium

Eryngium venustum

Eucomis 'Sparkling Burgundy'

Euphorbia horrida

Genista aetnensis

Grevillea victoriae 'Murray Queen'...not quite there yet but when those blooms start to open...it's gonna be HOT!

Hesperaloe parviflora...there are 5 of these bloom spikes in my garden this year and the hummingbirds are getting very territorial...

Hosta NOID (it's rare hosta blooms get to stick around...)

Hymenocallis zwanenburg, also rare are bulbs in my garden. My mom gifted me a few of these earlier in the spring and boy am I glad I took them, I really enjoyed these flowers.

Kniphofia, part of the "popsicle series" from Terra Nova.

Lewisia NOID

Lysimachia Paridiformis F. Stenophylla

Manfreda undulata 'Chocolate Chips' when it first started to open...

And now...

The plant underneath that 5 ft tall bloom...

Musella lasiocarpa (Chinese Yellow Banana)

Since this would be the first July Bloomday ever on my blog without a blue Hydrangea (ours went away last spring) I thought I'd share my neighbors plants along our driveway.

Opuntia humifusa, I'm hoping maybe some of last years fruit will breakdown and result in a seedling or three.

Did you notice the bee?

Sedum angelina

Sempervivum NOID

Because July also means tomatoes I had to share a 'Sungold' bloom...

Verbascum bombyciferum 'Arctic Summer'

And that's it! Happy July to everyone, isn't this just the best month? For more blooms visit our hostess Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment