Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Flora Grubb, version 3.0


I wonder…if I lived in the San Francisco area would the allure of Flora Grubb eventually wear off? Or would I be begging to work there simply to offset the cost of my purchases?

Our final stop on the 2013 Garden Bloggers Fling (and the location for our closing cocktail party) was at Flora Grubb, this was my third visit there and let me tell you…it still stops my heart. I’ve been a little Leucadendron obsessed as of late so these were calling to me through the gate before I even set foot in the nursery.

Of course this one isn't a Leucadendron, maybe it's a Phylica?

Back in May I featured Leptospermum 'Dark Shadows' as my "fav plant" mine is in a container because it's not hardy in Portland. Here it is in tree from...(sigh)...

I finally made my way into the nursery...


There was food, there was drink…but I didn’t care! I wanted to experience every square inch and kept on photographing while others lined up for refreshments.

Oh boy...what's that!...

I've been hunting for Grevillea x gaudichaudii ever since seeing it at the NW Flower and Garden Show a couple of years ago. For a moment I thought I'd found it. Instead this was Grevillea 'Austraflora Fanfare'...only hardy to 25F and $39.95...it stayed behind.

Pittosporum crassifolium 'Compactum' (Dwarf Karo)...(love it!)...



The colors and displays are divine...

Are they not?








I wouldn't have thought this idea could be successfully pulled off but here it is!



The letters are meant to be planted up with succulent cuttings. Could house numbers be far behind?



The Edsel continues to evolve...




I believe this might be the woolly-pocket planting which used to hang inside by the cash/wrap area...

And I love the new (to me at least) color behind the succulent panel...



Furcraea macdougalii I believe?



Bocconia frutescens looking much better than mine does.




So what did I buy? Only this Pseuderanthemum 'Rubrum' it's not hardy here but for $4.95 I thought it would make a nice annual accent. Next time I vow to be driving a big empty car...

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment