Friday, July 26, 2013

Bromeliads in the garden


One of the many things I found myself wishing for while in San Francisco was a climate where I could grow Bromeliads outdoors year-round. They can, I can’t. However this inconvenient little truth doesn’t keep me from enjoying many of the plants in this family…I just have to employ the seasonal shift. Inside for the winter, summer vacation in the garden (and of course there are a few I've ended up putting in the ground, and just hope for the best).

I was thrilled to come home from San Francisco and discover my Billbergia 'Hallelujah' was going to bloom.

A friend noted,when I pointed it out, "that flower doesn't seem to go with that plant"...it is a rather shocking color combination.

There are several bromeliads crammed in the large container next to the 'Hallelujah' including a large Vriesea imperialis, a couple of Neoregelia hybrids and a Quesnelia arvensis (front center) which was a gift a few years ago from the Rainforest Gardener.

There is also a small IKEA NOID bromeliad...

The color and pattern on this Neoregelia hybrid is a fav.

On the opposite side of the shade pavilion is another bromeliad grouping complete with a Tillandsia xerographica in a cage...

The glowing green color of this one is especially vibrant just before nightfall.

The broms in the tree are doing well.

And look! Another bloom on the way, from a tillandsia this time. Do you see it?

Right there...

I do take most of my tillandsias outside for the summer time. Some of them thank me with bright colors.

This Dyckia 'Burgundy Ice' is in a container. It's burgundy-ness seems compromised.

This one is in the ground (has been for a year and a half) and remains true to it's 'Burgundy Ice' name.

Here's a tiny pup Pam sent me last year. I can't remember if she said it was a puya or a dyckia but I do know she called it hardy and it sailed through last winter.

Hechtia podantha, this one has spent it's life with me in a container.

However this Puya coerulea has been in the ground since 2010. Once upon a time there were three but this is the only one to have survived.

I'm kind a hoping to see a bloom someday.

Also in the ground, but just planted this spring, Puya chilensis. My research says this one isn't quite as hardy as the P. coerulea so I'm not sure if I'll leave it or not.

It only cost me $5 so maybe I'll call it an experiment.

Plus I have a back up P. chilensis in a container.

This one is Puya mirabilis and was also a $5 steal. Since it's in a very protected spot right next to the house I think I'll leave it in the ground and see how it does over the winter (that's it on the far right).



There are many more plants from the bromeliad family in my garden (most in containers) but I didn't want this post to get too long, perhaps I'll feature them someday down the road...

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment