Thursday, February 7, 2013

Yucca schottii, oh my!


Yes…I’m blogging about yet another yucca, what can I say!? My my friend Bridget and I visited Cistus Nursery last week and this big beauty caught our eye…

It’s a Yucca schottii, which Sean says they collected as a pup in the Chiricahua Mountains, I suppose that would make it Yucca schottii 'Chiricahua High'

Here’s the full description: “A Cistus Introduction, our collection from near the summit of the Chiricahua Mts., a hardy yucca with very blue-gray leaves, to 3' long and sharply pointed, both stiff and more flexible than other "tree" yuccas. Eventually to 10' tall, single-trunked in youth to about 6' tall x 4' wide, then multi-trunked. Early summer flowers are white on tall stalks. For sun to part shade. An excellent garden species, both very drought tolerant and very frost hardy, accepting temperatures to -10 °F, USDA zone 6.” Guess what this is?...

Oh ya!

And this too…

According to Plant Delights Nursery Yucca Schottii is perfect if you “want to bring a piece of the desert into a damper temperate garden”…

Damp? Oh yes that would be my garden. Grow little guys grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment