Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hamamelis for Valentine's Day...


It’s that time of year; the Hamamelis (Witch Hazel) are blooming all over town. I’ve even spotted a few in flower at the local nurseries…what a great time to buy one since you can be assured you’ll get the color you want!

I’ve had a long time crush on the crinkled paper-streamer-like petals. But when everyone else gushes over the fragrance I just smile and nod and wait for the conversation to move on. Unfortunately I’ve never really been able to smell Hamamelis. Oh on occasion I’ve got a small whiff, just a faint odor, nothing powerful certainly nothing worth talking about. All of that changed on February 2nd when I visited the Elk Rock Garden at the Bishops Close.

Maybe it was the time of day, or the sheer quantity of plants but WOW, it was intoxicating. The two photos above are of Hamamelis mollis in the Chapel Garden. Below are the moss covered trees in the Parterres.

I have no idea which is which but according their website these are the ones they’ve planted: Hamamelis mollis, Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena,' Hamamelis x intermedia 'Arnold Promise,' Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena,' Hamamelis x intermedia 'Pallida.'

Which do you favor the orange or yellow flowers? For me it’s the orange…but this is another of those plants I’ll enjoy in someone else’s garden.

Or as a cut stem like they were here in the gardeners "office"…

And speaking of cut stems…happy Valentine’s Day! May I suggest a cut branch of Hamamelis for your sweetheart, who needs roses!?

No comments:

Post a Comment