Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Another Yucca filamentosa is my favorite plant in the garden this week…

If you’re thinking “but she already featured Yucca filamentosa a few weeks ago” you’d be correct, but that was an entirely different plant. You see this…

Looks nothing like this (even without the snow)…

It’s definitely not the same! This week’s plant has got great form and lovely subtle variegation, nothing like the vibrant variegation, and straight then bent form, of say Yucca filamentosa ‘Color Guard’…

In fact when I first saw this plant at Home Depot that fine form had me thinking I’d discovered a table of agaves, as I shared in this post from last spring. Plus there isn't even a single "filament" to be seen. So why am I calling it Y. filamentosa? Because that’s what the tag says! (admittedly it is a tag from Home Depot, not always the best source for horticultural information) Regardless of which yucca this is, it truly is spectacular in the landscape and I’m wishing I’d bought more than one, like a neighbor a couple of blocks away who planted multiples…

Maybe I’ll start a campaign to talk my next door neighbors out of theirs…

It’s a darn fine Yucca and if you see one in the nursery I think you should buy it! Even if the tag is less than helpful.

Stats from the Home depot tag…
  • Size: 2-3ft tall, 3-5ft wide
  • Hardiness: -20F
  • Water weekly during dry spells
  • Sun
  • Deer resistant

And since popular opinion (and mine now too) says this plant is Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata' here are the stats on it:
  • Size: 4ft tall x 3ft wide
  • Zones 7a-10b
  • Heat and drought tolerant
  • Sun
  • Deer resistant

No comments:

Post a Comment