Monday, May 20, 2013

My visit to Tower Perennials…

Another nursery that I had the pleasure of visiting during my April trip to Spokane, WA, was Tower Perennial Gardens...

I'd only been to Tower once before and that was last June after the Friends of Manito Plant Sale. That day we were hungry, overloaded on cool plants already, and it was pouring rain. Not the best of times to visit a new nursery. We left fairly quickly, but what I saw told me it was a cool place and that I need to return. I'm glad I did!

Their tables were full...

And their prices very reasonable. Mom fell for Euphorbia polychroma the day before at a different nursery where it was going for $10.95. These were much nicer and only $6.95.

Plus they have a great selection of unusual rock garden plants...

I also really enjoyed reading their plant tags.

Yep a Cylindropuntia whipplei 'Snow Leopard' came home with me...

So fun to see Maihuenia poeppigii here!

Ephedra equisetina, I know it looks a little "rangy" but I fell hard for this one...it followed me home too.

Cytisus purgans 'Spanish Gold'

Denver Botanic Gardens! That reminds me I should also mention one of the reasons I knew Tower was a cool place was because Panayoti visited them last summer (same time he hit Desert Jewels)...

Yucca nana is pretty darn cute...

Acantholimon caesarum, I bought one of these too. Are you getting the idea there's a little rock-garden(ish) project in my future?

Genista carinalis

Spikes! (these look like they might be pets, in a protected spot undercover in a greenhouse)

Odd trimmings on a Yucca rostrata trunk...

Even though I shy away from most mixed plantings I really liked this one.

And here is my new tree-crush! How beautiful is this? Quercus dentata 'C.F. Miller'...

Salix yezoalpina

Blush of color on a rodgersia...

Artemisia ludoviciana 'Valerie Finnis' again! I fell for this plant in Linda's garden (during our garden bloggers plant exchange), and here it is again, looking gorgeous!

I think this is my favorite stage in the development of a rodgersia leaf...

And you know what a sucker I am for a gorgeous lupine leaf!

Don't you just love a nice full greenhouse?

Ligularia przewalskii

Let's all snicker like teenagers when we read this plant label...

Look it's ribbed!

Yikes!!! Bishops Weed!

Think before planting, think VERY HARD...

'Valerie Finnis' in the ground...

There is an extensive portion of the nursery grounds given over to plantings. This blooming cordyline was in a container right by the front gate...

And these potted agaves on a patio overlooking the nursery...

Sexy!

My camera was aimed at the agave, but looking at this photo later it's the trees beyond that really grab my attention.

Part of the lower display garden. Keep in mind this was late April in Spokane, a zone 5/6 climate...things were just waking up!

Those trees again!

And some spikes.

If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me that's an Archtostaphylos! (in Spokane...yay!)

Looks like the pile behind my garage! (I kid...but only because I recycle my containers weekly)...

In addition to the three plants I've already mentioned purchasing I also bought an Eryngium alpinum. Not that I ever need encouragement to buy an eryngium but since Linda Cochran had just blogged about this plant the day before it was fresh in my mind and I had to buy it...

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment