Wednesday, May 15, 2013

May 2013, Bloomday...

Happy May Garden Bloggers Bloomday! It's a very bloom-a-rific time here in Portland, Oregon, and in my garden. Things get a little crazy when you plant for foliage with little regard for bloom color. I'm going to try and organize this flower show so it's a little easier on the eyes than an actual walk around the garden would be. Let's start with the white ones...

Magnolia laevifolia 'Snowbird'

Way up, almost at the top, of my Magnolia macrophylla is the first of many big blooms on this tree.

Convolvulus cneorum, love the silver foliage...and the sweet little flowers aren't bad.

I had high hopes the drastic pruning of our Styrax japonica would result in few flowers this year. Obviously I was delusional.

Saxifraga x urbium 'Aureopunctata' (London Pride)

Rodgersia podophylla ‘Rotlaub’

Rodgersia aesculifolia (in front of a hosta leaf)

Disporum cantonese ‘Night Heron’ with a few blurry Solomon's Seal flowers in the background.

Sort of a white pink, Sambucus nigra.

Which leads straight to the pinks and the hottest one of all, the inherited Rhododendron.

Rodgersia 'Bronze Peacock' (sorry so blurry, like me the camera wants to focus on the foliage, not the flowers)

Echium russicum

The end is near for my monster Echium x wildpretii 'Rocket' as the last two arms are blooming. I'm sharing just a close up of the flowers today but plan to do a dedicated post on this plant soon...

And my 3-yr old Echium wildpretii has started to bloom, even after having it's top rot off...

Gift Llewisia from a Portland Garden Bloggers plant swap...

I'm going to call this one a smokey wine color...Melianthus major 'Antonow's Blue,' one of three blooms on my plant.

And the iris gifted to me by Ricki (Sprig to Twig) has finally revealed just what color caused me to gush in such a way that she kindly gave me a bit of her plant, gorgeous ain't it?

In the purplish realm...Grevillea rivularis

Lupinus arboreus

Making the transition to yellow (those little flowers are yellow, right?) Cotinus ‘Royal Purple' before the blooms become "smoke"...

Genista lydia

I almost didn't include the Fremontodendron 'California Glory'...silly little thing has been in the ground for a year and hasn't grown a bit! However there've been more blooms than leaves this spring so it deserves a shout-out.

Tropaeolum peregrinum, so loaded with those crazy yellow flowers! So far the hummingbirds don't seem to care too much, they're much more excited about the Echium...

Yellow/green...Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow'

Euphorbia stygiana

And Euphorbia griffithii 'Fireglow'

Blue, Ceanothus 'Dark Star'...

Parahebe perfoliata

Salvia discolor (perhaps I should have put this in it's own black category?

Which brings us around to the orange and red flowers...

Grevillea juniperina ‘Lava Cascade’

Grevillea molonglo, which you've already seen in the background of several other images!

Grevillea 'Neil Bell'

The Flashbulb Parrot's Beak (Lotus hybrid) I picked up on a whim is already blooming. I think I'm going to really like this plant.

The flowers on my annual Kangaroo Paw are opening...

And I'll end with the too-bright-to-photograph flowers of Clianthus puniceus...

Visit our hostess at May Dreams Gardens for links to other Garden Bloggers participating in this monthly celebration of blooms.

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment