Thursday, May 16, 2013

Adiantum pedatum, my favorite plant in the garden (this week)...


During one of my many plant purging digs (our fist summer here) I uncovered a tiny graceful black stem with the brightest of chartreuse leaves. It had been buried under an over grown mass of “those ferns” (code for I have no idea what they are but see them in a lot of old gardens) and was just barely alive. At the time I had no idea of its name but I know it now as Maidenhair Fern (Adiantum pedatum), since that day it has grown into a delicate powerhouse of a plant.

I like how it acts as a compliment to the larger hosta leaves nearby.

The stats:
  • Hardy in zones 3-8
  • Eventually reaches a size of 1-2.5 ft tall x 1-1.5 ft wide
  • Likes part shade to full shade and will tolerate dense shade
  • Deciduous


Here’s an interesting picture of the single one of “those ferns” that I left in place. I cut it completely back each spring so the new growth can shine, I don’t remember ever seeing it form such a cone shape...

Since I’m combining this “fav plant of the week” post with Pam’s monthly Foliage Follow-up it's only right to add a second plant (and in fact I originally planned to feature this one, but then got distracted by the fern) I give you Equisetum hyemale (Horsetail rush)...

It’s pushing out a ton of fat new growth right now and just looks fabulous, although I couldn't get a great picture no matter how hard I tried.

The stats:
  • This is highly invasive, only plant it where you can contain it!
  • Hardy in zones 4-9
  • Height: 2 to 4 ft, spread: 1 to 6 ft
  • Full sun to shade
  • Likes it's feet to be wet


All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment