Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Matt Gil Sculpture Garden…

I’ve finally started to go through my photos from the 2013 Garden Bloggers Fling. Since I’ve waited so long (and already posted a couple of random things) I feel no need go forward in a chronological fashion, instead I’ll talk about the Fling in my own haphazard way. As I stared at the folder names (one for each place we visited) on my computer screen this one jumped out at me. So this is where I’ll start.

As you've no doubt read (if you're keeping up with other bloggers who attended the event) this garden is located under a freeway and built into a very steep hillside. Not ideal conditions for gardening! There was a traffic jam at the doorway (above) as everyone stopped to photograph that gorgeous planting so I walked up the street a bit to check out the neighborhood.

Ouch, poor things. Why plant them here if you're going to have to treat them like that?

Ah the strength and perseverance of the agave...

Okay so back at the garden and a couple of close-ups before entering...

We walked through the owners lovely home (Matt Gil and Lesa Porche) to arrive on the deck which overlooked their small but dramatic garden. First we'll have a look around the deck...

And then look over the edge, down to the ground level where you can see why this is called "The Matt Gil Sculpture Garden" - the owner is a sculptor and shows his work here in the garden.

I actually shot the image below as we were leaving, but since it fit in nicely here it is. Dan Carlson of Wigglestem Gardens chatting with Vicki (Playing Outside). Dan is the mastermind behind this garden...the man who made planting on this steep cliff possible. I eavesdropped on many conversations he had with fellow "Flingers" and not only is he charming and gracious but he also was able to answer all the plant questions thrown at him.

There's the steep cliff side...

Those agaves aren't just naturally growing here, but it looks perfectly possible doesn't it? As it turns out ropes for rappelling down the cliff were involved in the planting. All in a days work?

Let's head down to get a closer look.

Be still my heart...

Succulent perfection!



And it goes on and on...

As you might have guessed I'm a little infatuated with the protea (you'll see them again before we're done)...

And the Agave 'blue glow'...

The sculpture doesn't even detract from the plants! (that is a huge compliment coming from me, since I'm not a big "art in the garden" fan)...perfectly placed!




Everytime I see Anigozanthos (Kangaroo Paw) in the ground it's magical.

So this lovely space is both their home and the owners workshop. The door to his work space was kindly left open for those who wanted to enter. I meant to but just kept being pulled back by the plants.






I have to admit I have no memory of photographing this. I'm very intrigued and wish I could tell you more!


A close up of the cliff side. Ya that looks gardenable right?



Here's a shot of the group, or rather half of the group. We split into two separate buses for the morning gardens, small spaces require it.

And look up! That's a sign on the freeway I mentioned. And yes that is a giant bone sculpture.

Cordyline trees aren't anything special in these parts. Of course to me, they will always be.

Oh look! Here we are again...

One for the road...

Here's the back side of that fabulous front door planting. Who doesn't love a little shadow play?



And a peek into the work space...oh, who's that? My friend Peter (the Outlaw). He seems captivated by something up high.

I am thrilled at the riches of photos I have yet to look at from the 2013 Garden Bloggers Fling. These posts will be slow to show up but I hope you'll savor them as much as I do!

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment