Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bloomday for August 2013...

I say this every month but really...it's August 15th already? How is that possible? Seems like just yesterday it was barely June...once again I went out to photograph flowers thinking there wasn't much blooming and was amazed at what I found. That's the beauty of this Bloomday tradition, it makes you stop and look and take note. In roughly alphabetical order...

Aloe dorotheae, I know it's not quite yet a bloom but it's gonna be and I can celebrate that.

Abutilon hybrid 'Fairy Coral Red'

Acanthus mollis, slowing down and dropping bits but still, it counts!

Adenanthos sericeus (Coastal Woollybush), just the tiniest little flowers. I love it. Of course the Aeonium on the right almost count as flowers but no.

Chasmanthium latifolium back-lit.

Chasmanthium latifolium as it looks without drama.

Eucomis Oakhurst or is it Sparkling Burgundy? I've mixed them together and honestly lost track of what's what.

Ditto.

Grevillea juniperina ‘Lava Cascade’ starts the Grevillea show...

Grevillea juniperina ‘Molonglo’ framed by Verbascum bombyciferum 'Arctic Summer'...

Grevillea victoriae 'Murray Queen' just keeps making promises of an amazing show but isn't letting go...open open open!

Grevillea'Poorinda Leane'...this is why I love Grevillea. Look at that flower!

Hesperaloe parviflora

Hibiscus syriacus 'Red Heart'

Ipomea horsfalliae...before, during, and after.

Kniphofia, one of the Popsicle Series, don't ask me which one. Behind it are multiple blooms of Eryngium venustum.

Lobelia laxiflora. This was a random impulse buy at Garden Fever (a nursery near me). Little did I know it gets to be huge (sure the tag said that, but who reads those things?)...

Lotus berthelotii (Parrot's Beak)

Macleaya cordata flowers look like they're gonna become more than this but really not so much.

This is very exciting! I came back from the beach to discover my Musa basjoo is blooming!

It's not the most gorgeous bloom in the world but it's very exciting.

Meanwhile the Musella lasiocarpa (Chinese Yellow Banana) just keeps on unfolding layers.

Opuntia NOID - how cool are these? They start out yellow and then on the second day (and there after) are orange!

I am in love with my Salvia discolor, if we have a mild winter and it lives great, if not I'll be buying one again next year.

Sempervivum NOID

Sempervivum NOID, yet another. Look close...they remind me of the Sea Anemone I wanted to bring home from the beach, only a pink version.

And finally Verbascum bombyciferum 'Arctic Summer.' A friend who was visiting last month asked me about this plant. She wanted a name and was trying to describe it..."you know, the one that looks like sprayed foam but with yellow flowers"...

That's a wrap on this Bloomday from my garden. Click on over to our hostess Carol's site for blooms, blooms, and more blooms!

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited. If this post appears anywhere but danger garden it has been reposted without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment