Friday, January 11, 2013

We revisit an extraordinary garden, chapter 2…

Well here we are, in the amazing back garden (yesterday we were out front). As you scroll through these photos you’ll probably notice there are a few that seem to be rather repetitive, but each one features a plant, combo, or view that I felt was important to share. I wish you could have all been there with me as John answered my questions and shared his passion for plants.

We’ll start in the lower part of the garden nearest the house and then move up into the large extended back garden, complete with intersecting pathways and a garden structure with a green roof. Then we’ll circle back toward the house and end up back where we started.

Are you thinking the same thing I was when I saw this Leucadendron argenteum: “How is that going to live through a Portland winter?”…well I’ll point to the equally gorgeous Acacia baileyana 'Purpurea' behind it, which obviously has made it through a couple of winters.

I think John must be a magician with winter protection and live in an enviable micro-climate.

Excellent drainage is also key.

No doubt the shelter provided by the house helps a bit too.

There are so many beautiful things!

Echeveria secunda

Now we are looking at the eastern (I think) edge of the property. Still in the area closest to the house.

Yucca aloifolia 'Purpurea'

Another Leucadendron argenteum.

Tradescantia 'Godzilla' with Melianthus major 'Purple Haze.'

Yes! That's another one of my obsessions...Adenanthos sericeus or Coastal Woollybush.

Close up...

There are several gorgeous Passion Flower vines in the garden.

Looking back over our shoulder we see the water feature that divides the lower back garden from the upper expanse.

Such a thick layer of leaves...so many textures and colors.

I've admired this plant every year at the Rare Plant Research open house and have almost purchased it multiple times.

Such amazing leaves!

Speaking of amazing, look at that color!

Sigh...

Oh how I want those tall feathery plumes in my garden!

This airy foliage would be welcome too, along with those spikes.

And if Anigozanthos, or Kangaroo Paw, were hardy here...well...LOOK OUT!

A glance backwards before looking to our right...

And the crevice garden! Yes I was inspired all over again.

Behind the crevice garden...

Now turning and looking behind us...

The plants and intersecting pathways make you feel the garden goes on forever...

I wonder how much the Eucalyptus in this garden influenced my desire to have fresh branches through-out our house for the holidays?

Fine foliage...

And bold foliage...

Both are at home here.

Looking back towards the house.

Close-up.

And the green-roof of the new garden structure...

Which you see here on the left (the blue building, the house on the right is a neighbor).

Looking back towards John's house again in the distance with an impressive stand of Tetrapanax on the right.

Close-up.

I think this is a Daphne?...

Look what's lurking behind the Abutilon...Schefflera delavayi!

Again with the fabulous foliage textures.

Now we are back in the lower area next to the house, but on the opposite end of where we started this visit.

Astelia...

Eryngium pandanifolium

And the "blooms"...

Parahebe perfoliata on the right.

And another dreamy powder blue Eucalyptus. I swear I could get lost in there...

Looking back where we've just been.

And towards the water feature again, from another angle.

And finally back where we started.

Amazing! Thank you John for inviting me over for another visit...here's hoping for a mild rest of our winter...

No comments:

Post a Comment