Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The first Bloomday of 2013…


January…it can only get better from here right? There is so much about to bloom in my garden I almost went with a “bud day” theme (that’s Arctostaphylos x ‘Austin Griffiths’ above) but that wouldn't be honoring the intention would it? No it would not. Instead we'll see just exactly what I can scare up that is in bloom…

Oh! Like this Kalanchoe (noid)…

A couple of the cuttings I took to overwinter inside decided to flower, isn't that nice?

And my Grevillea ‘Poorinda Leane’ has a couple of blooms just about to open completely.

It’s covered in buds; the poor thing got smashed when a small limb from one of the Doug Firs behind us came down in a windstorm. It could have been worse. I need to tie it up so it can regain its proper stature.

Another Grevillea, 'Neil Bell' continues its run as the poster child of winter blooms, even through temperatures in the mid 20's...

Have I told you how wonderful it is to see this plant everyday? (yes, several times I'm sure)

While the Rosemary earns a place in my garden strictly because of its flavor, the little flowers are welcome too.

I should have photographed the Fatsia japonica again this month, they’re still looking good, but I forgot. At least I remembered the Mahonia (x media 'Charity')…

Last Bloomday I was sure it was just a matter of days before the Tetrapanax blooms would burst open in a big frothy mass of freaky flower.

Nope, I think they’re frozen here never to open.

Before I close this underwhelming Bloomday post and send you off to Carol at May Dreams Gardens (our hostess for this monthly gathering) I thought I’d share an update on the Potter Wasp mud nest I first photographed last August...

No change, waiting for spring no doubt, just like the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment