Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Confused…


My Bocconia frutescens is confused, poor thing. Since it’s in a container, and mid-January our overnight temperatures were close to its hardiness range, it went down to the basement where it stayed for a little over a week. When we got back from our trip to New Mexico this had shot out…

From the San Marcos Growers website: “In late spring and early summer appear the small petal-less greenish-purple flowers in dense 8-24" long panicles that are followed by gray fruit. The flowers are not showy.”

It thinks it’s late spring!

I felt bad taking it back outdoors, but the temps are in the mid 30’s overnight again and I just don’t think I would be happy long term in the basement (lower light levels, poor air circulation and little moisture). It’s got to be a shock for it to realize it is not spring.

I’m prepared to lose the “not showy” flowers, but of course I’d love to see them bloom and the fruit develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment