Monday, January 7, 2013

Again with the nursery diversion…

As you've probably figured out one of my favorite coping mechanisms for the winter months is to visit nurseries as frequently as possible. During this particular visit I hit the jackpot; a blooming agave in Portland in the wintertime was not something I expected to see...

It's planted in the indoor greenhouse at Portland Nursery on Division St. I've admired this large Agave gypsophila 'Blue Wave' for years now, but it looks like it won't be around much longer.

Sadly the bloom spike won't be reaching it's full potential...

I've got to remember to go back in a couple of weeks and check on the progress!

There are a couple of interesting Opuntia mixed into the panting.

Along with a fine Euphorbia milii (I think)...

However there is something slightly dangerous about my going back to check on the blooming agave, you see I almost succumbed to the charms of this metal Saguaro.

Can't see it? Here's a close up of the material.

And another overall shot. It was 5ft tall and only $34.99. You know how I feel about garden art and I was very afraid as soon as I got it home I would start to hate it. Then again I imagine it covered with a vine (passion flower? or maybe a Kennedia nigricans from Annies) and causing passers-by to do a double take. Augh!!!

Of course I also wanted to take this Agave parryi home, I always want to take those home...

Looks like they've got a couple of  back-up A. gypsophila 'Blue Wave' if they want to replace their blooming one with another biggie...

Exotic blooms always help to cheer me up.

In the category of those I've loved and lost we have Furcraea gigantea 'Variegata'...

Euphorbia pseudocactus, in a large container...

And smaller for only $5.99, yes one became mine!

Not a blooming one though, unfortunately.

I have to admit this Kalanchloe kind of gives me the hebejebes.

Its the underside of the leaves that does it, like if I touch those furry bumps I'm going to develop furry bumps of my own.

This ghostly Dyckia was love at first sight though, and it too came home with me.

Time to venture outdoors....the day of my visit we'd had a little non-sticking snow storm that morning, looks like some actually stuck at the nursery!

I know a couple of people who would love to have a Chief Joseph Pine the size of this large one...

After admiring the Chief Joe's I turned around and saw this...

My beloved Blue Atlas Cedar is available in a yellow version! Cedrus A 'Aurea'..."Pale yellow suffused over green needles looks like frosting. Upright, horizontal branching, 10' x 8' in 10 years. Sun, hardy to zone 6"

It can be yours for only $74.99! What do you prefer? Yellow...

Or blue?...

No comments:

Post a Comment