Friday, January 18, 2013

My first plant purchase of 2013…

Well it's official, I've made my first plant purchase of the New Year! Can you guess what it might be?

If you’d told me this would be it I would have laughed…

But the bargain hunter in me got so excited at the $19 price tag (on the two little ones in the front) I decided it indeed was time to see if a Blue Atlas Cedar could be happy in a container for a few years.

Because there's no way I’m planting a plant that could grow to be 40 to 50 ft tall and 20 to 25 ft wide (and larger?) in my garden…

The bigger guys were going for $50, which actually seems like a pretty good price too. Looking at these photos I'm reminded of a line (describing the B.A.C.) I read recently in the Timber Press Pocket Guide to Conifers: "It’s open and skeletal-looking early on but after several decades is handsome beyond description" hey! I happen to like that open skeletal look...

I've been on a bit of a nursery binge, part of my “getting through the cruelest month” program. This was my second in a week, and just so you know, I left the other one empty handed (the two plants I mentioned purchasing in this post were actually picked up in 2012). Today's stop was at The Gardeners Choice off Highway 99 in Tigard, Oregon, it’s an odd mix at this place. They've got a great selection of containers, with a few always on sale. In the summer the whole place is filled with lots of annuals (color spots ya know) and other plants I have no need for along with a few choice agaves and succulents. They do hold a special place in my heart though because this was where I came face to face with my big Schefflera taiwaniana, so there are amazing finds to be hand, on occasion.

After I bagged the “B.A.C.” there were even more temptations! Heading inside… I've never been a fan of this aloe hybrid, Carmine…

But they had it in the window causing the orange margins to glow just so. And look a double headed Aloe plicatilis!

And a little cactus with black spikes…

Even better an agave with white teeth!

There was no tag that I could see; I'm guessing it might be Agave horrida?

Heading back outside I was happy to discover a nice selection of spikes, including Yucca rostrata (not a bad size for $19)...

Yucca 'Bright Star'

And some gorgeous agaves! Including A. ovatifolia...

Agave parryi 'J.C. Raulston'

And this sexy number that had no name tag, just look at those long spikes!
And wouldn't you know it even though there wasn't a name there was a price...and it was too expensive for me, after I do I really need another agave! (no)

I do miss my dearly departed (3 years ago) Agave montana 'Baccarat' though...such a fabulous plant.

Not a bad inventory for January...

It may be too late?

Today, or yesterday? How do we know?

Sunshine!

Have you ever heard of Rudolph Spurge? (my what long legs you have Ru!)

I bet you can guess how it got it's name...

Kinda cute.

Temptation! Butia capitata...

But it was not to be...

Thanks for tagging along on another nursery visit! Have you made your first plant purchase of the New Year yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment