Monday, December 3, 2012

Well aren't you the little thug?

It took me awhile to decide that I liked Muehlenbeckia axillaris, or Creeping Wire Vine. But decide I did, and three plants went into the area cleared out when the Rhody was removed last spring. I thought they would make a nice, quick growing, groundcover. Ya, you can say that again...
Muehlenbeckia axillaris taking over some Sempervivum

Here’s a positive endorsement I found online… "It's the leaves' unique ability to stay in excellent condition from March through November (or later) which makes all these uses suitable, no cutting back or grooming is generally required."
Muehlenbeckia axillaris climbing up through Grevillea victoriae 'Murray Queen'

And from the same source “it quickly forms a dense mat which weeds are unlikely to penetrate.” Is it just me or does that last bit sound a little like the beginning to a horror story?
Muehlenbeckia axillaris twining around Agave bracteosa

The general consensus online (because I’m researching it now, after I planted it) seems to be that it will grow to be 24-30” wide. That doesn't sound too horrible but when you realize they’re probably talking about each and every tiny stem reaching two to two and half feet long, AND add in the “twining/climbing habit” and yikes. I think this plant could cover a car, or maybe even a house, in a couple of years.
Muehlenbeckia axillaris and Dasylirion wheeleri

I guess the name "Creeping Wire Vine" held some clues, had I paid attention. I’m hoping maybe winter will somehow keep this budding thug in check, but I’m not holding my breath. I am however holding sheers…and will use them.
There used to be a Libertia ixioides 'Goldfinger' under there, somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment