Saturday, December 15, 2012

Bloomday for December 2012

I've got something new blooming in the garden in December! Are you ready for this…

Wow, flower power eh? I’m not sure if the sun hadn't been hitting it “just so” that I would have even noticed! Those little red bits belong to Persicaria 'Brushstrokes' and all joking aside I’m glad that it’s happy enough to be blooming, I wasn't sure it got enough water over the long dry summer. Here’s what the foliage looks like (and it’s what initially attracted me to this plant)…

Other than that small surprise it’s business as usual around here, just the same ol’blooms that have been sticking around for months. I will share them simply because I like to be able to look back and see just how long some of these keep producing! Like the Fatsia japonica…

Both of them…

As I was taking photos one of the hummingbirds that has laid claim to this shrub came cruising up for a snack.

My presence disturbed him so he flew over to one of the parking strip trees to wait for me to finish. He also stayed long enough for a portrait.

The Mahonia x media 'Charity' is still looking fabulous.

This plant is on the north side of our house along the neighbor’s driveway, somewhere we rarely see. Pretty nice of me to share this bright winter bloomer with them isn't it?

In our driveway is the much photographed (3 Bloomdays in a row) Grevillea 'Neil Bell'…

It’s so nice to see these bright orange fireworks on a grey day.

Other Grevilleas are getting in the mood too, Grevillea juniperina 'Molonglo' has opened it’s first new bloom for the season.

What? You can’t see it? Look at the far right of the photo under the Opuntia pad, kind of an apricot colored thing. Grevillea juniperina 'Lava Cascade' wasn't going to miss out on the Bloomday spotlight and popped this little bloom open just in time…

There are still a few blooms on the Abutilon…

And unfortunately the Tetrapanax papyrifer didn't manage to burst open for Bloomday, wouldn't that have been fun. Ah well…

You certainly know the drill by now…visit May Dreams Gardens for all the Bloomday links!

No comments:

Post a Comment