Thursday, November 1, 2012

Let’s go for a walk…

It’s been quite awhile since I took the camera along on a dog walk, I think it's time, besides it's not raining! (that's a rarity these days)...

This huge grass is one of a pair. It's the largest of the two and a perfect example of not planning for the plants eventual size.

That is of course unless you want to hide the path to your front door...

I wonder how the mail-man feels about this?

Subtract that Bishops Weed in the lower right hand corner and this is a lovely scene. I especially like the maple (?) against the house.

New contruction, well sort of. This was a very scary house just a few months ago. After the questionable residents were sent packing they took it back to the foundation and started building up. The new version is much larger than the old version.

I think it's odd that they left the old sidewalk, especially since they went to such lengths to landscape well.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

At least they left the backyard a blank slate.

Yesterday we saw the Sweet Chestnut trees at the Kew Gardens...these are in my neighborhood.

Every year I pick up a few of these fabulous pods to place on the mantle.

They are however spiky little landmines for doggie feet.

Spooky no? I've photographed these floating heads before, but with a subject as strange as this I figured a follow-up was in order.

Remember when the Opuntia Santa Claus came to visit? This is the source plant...

So blond...

All good dog walks end up here...one of my all time favorite local gardens.

Surely you can see why?

I know it's blurry but I loved the loopy craziness going on in the background.

Pups everywhere! I counted at least four...

I'll be keeping an eye on this Echium over winter.

I'm so glad I finally worked up the courage to take a picture of this! I give you the Trophy Garage...

What do you think is going on here?

Remember making potato stamps as a kid?

Love these...even better than the summertime version.

This house has got more Euphorbia seedlings per square inch than any other I know of...

Someday I will walk the Ainsworth Linear Arboretum "...is unique among U.S. arboretums. It spans actual city blocks and includes street and yard trees. You can view more than 60 different species of city trees within walking or bicycling distance of each other."

I took a picture of this same plant about this time last year. The funny thing is I've been looking for it all summer and never could spot it...

Here's an interesting combination...

A bit of resourcefulness when the bird bath base broke? I like it.

Just a little bit of moss on that there planter...

Here's the mother plant of my first Opuntia pads. Notice how the heavy branches are reaching for the ground? I bet they root there and start growing upwards again.

Finally we'll end with something you don't see much of around these parts, thankfully...

A little careful cropping communicates my feelings on the matter...

No comments:

Post a Comment