Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Grevillea juniperina 'Molonglo' my favorite plant in the garden, this week…

I’m kind of obsessed with Grevillea juniperina 'Molonglo' and truthfully this plant could be my favorite just about any week, it never looks bad. So why this plant now? Because this is what I’m currently seeing out my front door…

Naturally the sun isn’t always hitting it just so but when it does, well the Grevillea shines a little extra, like a beautiful grass-green carpet.

I bought my plants at Cistus and planted them the summer of 2011. Here’s what they looked like a couple months after planting.

For some reason I thought I needed three plants. I guess I didn't really believe it when the tag said 10 ft wide?....

“A ground covering grevillea, to 2 ft tall x 10 ft wide adorned with deep gold flowers from fall through spring and occasionally beyond. Evergreen, it is dense and smothers weeds easily. Full sun and good drainage. Drought tolerant once established. Avoid fertilizers as with all proteas. Frost hardy in USDA zone 8.”

So about those deep gold flowers; it’s taking a little break at the moment but there will be more soon. Just look…

If you’re wondering what the flowers do look like click on over here, as proof of my obsession there are no less than 15 photos of my plants on plantlust.com, most of them while they’re in bloom.

The stats:
  • Evergreen ground cover to 2ft tall by 8-10ft wide.
  • Likes sun and well drained soil – drought tolerant.
  • Hardy Zone 8a -10b

And speaking of photos on plantlust.com if any of you garden bloggers are okay with us uploading your photos (with credit and a link back to your blog of course) we would LOVE to do so. Just say the word and we’ll get busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment