Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Arctostaphylos densiflora ‘Harmony,’…yep! It’s my favorite plant in the garden this week…


Back in January I posted a couple of pictures of Arctostaphylos densiflora ‘Harmony,’ the oldest Manzanita in my garden. I was lamenting the fact it was nothing but a blob and I couldn't even see the very reason I had planted it, those sexy cinnamon branches. Fast forward to last week when I did a little pruning and ta-dah…

Sexy branches galore!

In fact you can even (finally) see the color combo I loved back when I planted Podocarpus alpinus ‘Orangeade’ next to it (yes probably too close, but that’s my way) in the spring of 2011…

I bought my plant from Joy Creek Nursery in 2010. I’d wanted to add a Manzanita to my garden and loved the form and larger leaves of this plant, which came from Xera Plants (a wholesaler). According to plant lust it’s available from Cistus and Far Reaches Farm, as well as wherever Xera Plants are sold (that’s a pretty stellar combination of nurseries wouldn’t you say?). Here are their descriptions:

A fantastic selection of Sonoma Manzanita that is similar to 'Howard McMinn' when young but reveals its different character with age. Taller growing with a more arboreal habit. Glossy green leaves are the largest on any densiflora type. To 7' tall and 5' wide in time. Clusters of pink flowers appear in late winter and are showy for 4-6 weeks. Wonderful as a specimen and easy to grow. (Xera)

Taller and larger-leaved than other cultivars of the species, this one simply has more of that Californian manzanita, "summer water is for pansies” presence to it. The bark alone is enough for me. To 6 ft tall or so by 5 ft wide. Sun and good drainage. Cold hardy to 5F, mid USDA zone 7. (Cistus)

An ideal choice for that classic Manzanita look, this cultivar is taller growing than the other densiflora types allowing one to fully appreciate that mahogany bark and gnarled growth. It also sports larger leaves than typical and has light pink flowers in typical abandon. Good drainage, likes it dry. (Far Reaches)

I suppose I could have pruned even a little more, but I didn’t want to get carried away. Besides I’m just thrilled it’s finally starting to grow upwards, for the longest time its windswept shape had it creeping along horizontally.

Want to learn more about which Arctostaphylos might be right for your garden? There are 123 listed on plant lust!

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment