Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Euphorbia stygiana; my favorite plant in the garden this week…

Why is Euphorbia stygiana my favorite this week? Well, besides the fact it’s just a darn good looking plant, I stopped the other day and really looked at it, realizing just how substantial it’s become.

Planted from a 4” container a little less than a year ago its leaves are now almost as long as the entire plant was tall back then.

And its tiny stem has become a trunk!

Wait…what’s that wrapping around the trunk?

Wire vine (Muehlenbeckia axillaris)! I thought I pulled all of that thug, turns out a missed a few pieces and this one had worked its way to the top of the Euphorbia.

No longer.

The stats:
  • Evergreen shrub to 5ft tall, 6ft wide
  • Said to grow in zones 8a – 10b although I had one die in a more exposed site at 18F
  • Likes sun to partial shade and is drought tolerant once established
  • Wants well drained soil

I’ll be curious to see if it blooms this summer, the flowers aren’t all that showy but I’d still like to see them. I've never met a Euphorbia bloom that I don't love.

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment