Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Caught in a moment of weakness…

Andrew has always hated the pair of inherited Pieris japonica growing at the front of our house. While I didn’t particularly love them I valued their size. In my book having a few established plants of size to counterbalance a young garden is a very good thing.

However when he recently asked “can we get rid of those “old-lady shrubs” in front the house” I realized the time had come. Of course he also managed to ask at just the right moment, when I’d been lusting after a Pineapple Guava (Acca Sellowiana) with no place to plant one…I'd been caught at a weak moment. So there will be no more Pieris japonica blooms in my Bloomday posts.

And I’ll never have to look at this ugly mess again…

Let’s have one final close up look at them…

How nicely this one by the drive disguised the size of the a/c unit.

And this one hid our huge mailbox (which you can’t see here, but you will in just a few pictures).

Out with you!

Andrew declared this “garden art”…(I didn't fall for it)

I should share a little back story about the Pineapple Guava. The first plant was procured by my friend Ricki (Sprig to Twig). She lives relatively close to Mean’s Nursery and I'd heard they had 5 gallon plants for a decent price. She kindly conformed this and picked one up. Then she did the ultimate favor and hauled a very heavy 5-gallon pot to a Hardy Plant Society of Oregon meeting downtown where I could get it (we plant people are enablers aren’t we?).

Well to be honest I then started to doubt my decision. While it was a lovely, bushy, healthy plant it was so small (compared to the existing Pieris), how could I possibly have the patience to wait for it to grow up?

While I was pondering whether or not to proceed with the “old lady shrub” removal I happened to stop at The Gardener's Choice in Tigard and discovered another Pineapple Guava.

It doesn’t look like much in the picture above but when I pulled out and looked it over I realized it had a great form to it, and more of a trunking base. I was smitten. But I already had a wonderful plant at home!

And right there a plan begun to take shape. You see I wasn't planning to replace both Pieris with Acca sellowiana, but there’s been a huge container sitting unused in our garage for a couple of years. What if the bushy plant went in the container…

And the other one with more of an established trunk went over by the driveway?

As you can see that’s exactly what happened. I decided having a "matched" pair again would be a good thing.

Am I thrilled? I’m still not sure. I love the plants. They are gorgeous even if they never bloom (but I hope they do!).

But so small! I mean look at that huge a/c unit dwarfing that small plant…

I tried to divert my eyes from this problem by planting some fun small plants around it…

And luckily the Rheum palmatum is starting to explode to help fill up the space by the front door…(Heather if you look close you can see Lila at the front door, for scale)

Love the crinkled leaves…

With their bright red undersides.

I also planted this Chondropetalum elephantinum in what I hope will be a little heat pocket between the stairs, house and container.

It wasn’t doing very good in its container on the patio, hopefully will respond well to this new home.

The other side of the a/c unit should be hidden soon by the leafing out Edgeworthia and growing yellow variegated yucca.

There are a couple of plant exchange babies here too. An iris from Ricki…

I commented about how beautiful the color was and she kindly gave me a division at our Garden Blogger plant exchange last fall. The funny thing? I can’t remember what color it was! (don’t tell me Ricki, I’m looking forward to the surprise). These Lewisia came from Steven at the same exchange and they’re about to bloom!

So that's my story of how in a "moment" of weakness I got rid of a pair of established shrubs and replaced them with something I love...even if they're tiny! Before...

After...

So now the only plant that's left from when we bought the house is the giant rhododendron under the living room window. Andrew would be happy to rip it out tomorrow. Me? I think it will be awhile before I'm willing...

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment