Thursday, October 11, 2012

A quick stop at Lan Su...

Prior to leaving for London I made a quick stop at Portland’s Chinese Garden to pick up a couple pairs of my favorite bonsai snips to take as gifts for Mark and Gaz (if you’ve never used those tiny little scissors they really do come in very handy in the garden). Of course you can’t visit the gift shop and not visit the garden!

It was only late September when I visited, so the leaves weren't colorful yet and the Musa basjoo hadn't yet been wrapped.

No matter how many times I visit this garden I always see a new perspective.

My favorite scene in the garden this time...

Doesn't it look like someone arranged the fallen leaves just so, around the mounds of grass?

But I really don’t think that was the case.

I still have no idea what these are. Each time I think I’ll ask before I leave the garden, but by the time I get to the exit I've forgotten about them. Anyone know?

A favorite plant of mine which I first discovered here, Lysimachia paridiformis var. stenophylla.

Their orange blooming Edgeworthia, I’m excited that mine has small flower buds on it too.

There’s that Metapanax /Nothopanax delavayi I love so much…

From the other side…

And a bloom!

More Lysimachia paridiformis

And this Oak again! Cutleaf Emperor Oak, I love it…and who knew I’d be seeing one in the garden of Mark and Gaz too!

I don’t know how much longer I can stay strong and resist the temptation of this one!

Heptacodium miconioides, I believe.

The Persimmon tree has fruit…

It’s so easy to overlook though when it’s still green. Guess I’ll need to make another visit soon to see if it’s turned that fabulous orange. By the way of you’re a member of this garden don’t forget for the entire month of November each Lan Su Chinese Garden Membership is good for two free admissions to the Portland Japanese Garden! What a deal, the last time I was at the Japanese garden was almost 4 years ago, I can’t wait to check it out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment