Thursday, October 25, 2012

A gardener moved to the neighborhood…

The house had been vacant for quite awhile, several months at least. I didn't even realize it had been purchased until I noticed a few things moving in, the most important of which were big plant containers and plants. A gardener had moved into the neighborhood! Not knowing who these new neighbors of mine were, I already liked them. Anyone who moves with plants is my kind of person.

Then:

Now:

When the house was empty I had walked up the drive and cut a few of the huge Clematis blooms growing near the garage, figuring someone ought to be enjoying them! I remember thinking how fabulous the short covered breezeway between the garage and the house was. The fact that the new owners grouped a few containers there right away made me so happy. Yes…I know, it’s odd that I paid so much attention to a house that wasn't mine. Dog walking will do that to you.

I don’t remember exactly how much time went by before I finally met the new owners, Bridget and Mary (yes, that Bridget) but we were instantly talking about plants and their plans for the front garden. One of the first things they did when planting the front garden in the spring of 2011 was put in this simple (fabulous) metal edging along the planting borders and pathways...

Such as this one that hugs the front of the house, I love the look!

I remember being afraid these Astelia wouldn't make it though last winter (I'm still suffering the sadness of loosing several established plants of my own). But they did! They all 3 were supposed to be Astelia nervosa 'Westland' but as you can see the one in front has more of a silver cast to it.

You know I’m no fan of the conifer but I am in love with this Cedrus deodora 'Cream Puff.'

It glows, even on the cloudiest grey days.

These little Aloes made it through our easy winter last year; hopefully it will be equally successful this year.

Fall never looked so good!

Bridget called this beauty an Alaska Fern, which may mean (if I trusted the right internet sources) that it’s a Polystichum setiferum. I love it’s slightly Grevillea-esque foliage.

The River Birch (Betula nigra 'Heritage') with its peeling bark is pretty fabulous too.

Okay…one last look at the beautiful Abutilon and let’s go have a look at the back garden!

We walk through the breezeway...

And we're magically transported back in time! No this isn't what the garden looks like now (can you imagine?) Before you see the back garden in it's current state I thought I'd share a couple of shots from 2011, shortly after they moved in.

As you can see there was a lot to remove before they could even think of creating a garden. The large trees along the fence line (Ailanthus altissima, or Tree of Heaven) were removed early last spring. I won't lie, at the time I thought they were crazy. Mature trees, why would anyone remove them? I've since learned a lot about just how horrible those particular trees are. I've seen how they are sending up a million seedlings on the other side of the fence, and throughout this garden.

So that was then...let's look at now! Of course since everything was planted this last summer it's all still quite small. The important thing is that it's all still alive! Can you imagine planting a new garden right before the the 3 driest months in recent memory here in Portland? A lot of work went into keeping these plants alive...

Looking out accros the garden.

Like fire! Beautiful...

Edgeworthia, which will soon charm with it's winter flowers.

Under the covered patio a nice dining area, complete with lighting (I'm jealous)...

This beautiful maple comes from Bridget's grandmother. She has a photo of it in the same container from the 70's and estimates its age at somewhere between 43-45 years old. We won't talk about the careless delivery person who recently broke a branch, we'll just be amazed at it's beauty.

There's a little spiky danger in every garden, here in the form of a Poncirus trifoliata 'Flying Dragon"...

Love the transition between the two styles of hardscaping.

Here's my favorite spot in the garden...and a peek at Tupelo as she keeps a watchful eye on just what this crazy stranger with the camera is up to...

The driftwood also has family history attached...it was retrieved from the California coastline by Bridget's father and grandmother (the same one who planted the maple) many years ago...

Euphorbia stygiana, a plant I was happy to hear has been a huge success for Bridget in past gardens. I've fallen quite in love with mine and don't want winter to take it away.

Every great gardener has at least one Agave...

Looking back towards the west, where we first entered the back garden.

Love the rusty patina on the planter...

And the chairs!

Okay, one last picture of this perfect spot to spend an evening sipping and chatting.

As you may have guessed by now Bridget has a lot of experience in garden design and working with plants and flowers. Locals may recognize her from Poppy Box (sadly closed before my time here in Portland) and later the Lake Osewego branch of Ravenna Gardens, a fav Seattle nursery of mine. She's currently working her magic in the floral department at New Seasons.

Can you spot the Loquat on the left? On the right (out of frame) are a couple Magnolias, a much nicer tree than the removed "Tree-of-Heaven" (or hell as many say)...

And another happy healthy Euphorbia...

Along with more sexy driftwood.

The first time I saw this garden (on a warmer, sunnier, drier day) there was an umbrella over that chair creating the coziest little area to curl up with a glass of wine and a good book.

Okay I lied, one last look back at the vintage chairs...

..before we go closer to look at the happy plants grouped on this table.

I am excited to see this garden as it matures and the plants grow up. Bridget's refined plantings (this is a lady who knows what she wants and tracks it down, as opposed to my willy-nilly plant procurement style) will grow together to create an wonderful hide-away in which to relax and forget the world beyond.

Of course Tupelo isn't waiting...she's already got relaxing down to an art-form...thank you for sharing your beautiful garden Bridget!

No comments:

Post a Comment