Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Wrong plant, wrong place

Yes that’s right. This is the wrong plant for me…

And it is in the wrong place. Wouldn’t you agree?

For those of you keeping track it was just a month and a half ago that I wrote “So now the only plant that's left from when we bought the house* is the giant rhododendron under the living room window. Andrew would be happy to rip it out tomorrow. Me? I think it will be awhile before I'm willing...” I honestly felt that way when I wrote it. What changed? Well first of all it bloomed, and is pushing out a ton of new spring growth. The plants I’ve planted in the front garden have finally started to create a sense of place (however small it might be) and when this big guy blooms, well…it just doesn’t belong.

From any angle (or time of day, or weather condition)…

Then I read a post by my friend Peter, where he included this horrifying photo (among others, it’s really worth clicking through to read) of a house eating Rhody ...

One of the comments was from my blogging friend Heather who said “I'm not sure if this is better or worse than pruning them down so you can see out your windows...” I read her comment just moments before I went out to fill up the yard waste container with clippings trying to keep that thing from over taking the front window. I could barely reach the top of the Rhody and even after launching myself into the plant this is the best I could do.

Why am I fighting a plant I don’t even really like simply because it’s established? Yep right then and there I decided it was coming out. The only question is do I do it now our wait until fall (“they” say fall is the best time to plant…and it is mid May with a busy (not available for a lot of watering) summer ahead)? And what the heck do I plant in its place? It has to max out at about 5ft tall …

I’m dreaming maybe I can get a trunking Yucca rostrata, while that will eventually grow to taller than 5ft it will be slow and I can plant it at a corner. So what else? I would love to hear your suggestions!

(*not counting the ferns in this post!)

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment