Friday, May 24, 2013

Echium x wildpretii 'Rocket' is my favorite plant in the garden, this week…


It’s time has come; the monster must be celebrated...

This Echium x wildpretii 'Rocket' is remaining one of a pair I bought at Xera Plants the summer of 2010. Here are the twins the day they came home from the hospital nursery (lower right hand corner).

One went in the front garden that year, this one stayed in a container over winter 2010/11 (insurance based on questionable hardiness).

Then planted in the ground in June of 2011, it was so small then (even smaller than the last photo having lost a few leaves due to transplanting shock). It grew like crazy that year and even developed a branch.

By the time spring 2012 rolled around it was obvious the largest arm was going to bloom. Here’s a photo from June of last year. Andrew (6ft 2in) for scale…

And after I removed the bloomed out arm here’s what was left…

Which has become what’s blooming now.

Andrew appears again this year for scale (with Lila as a bonus)…

This whole section is a long branch that comes off the stump of the original plant.

Stretching out across the ground a good couple of feet.

And that trunk is huge! I can’t get my hand even halfway around it, oh and it’s hairy too…

Isn’t it just incredible? That tiny little plant has produced two 12+ plus bloom spikes and lived for 3 years in my garden. Which brings me to the description from Xera...."Amazing biennial that is worth growing for the rosette of leaves alone. Silvery thin leaves form a rosette to 3' wide and curl up into a spherical shape as tall. VERY COOL. In the second year a 6' tower of scarlet flowers points straight up. Well drained soil in a very warm position with occasional summer water. Overwinters best with good drainage. Great w/ boulders and Cactus, maybe a giant sloth and an alien. Full hot sun."...Wait, did they say 6’ tower? Ha!

Here’s where things get sad. This is the end! There are no more arms pushing out of that stump. When this one is done it’s done. A better gardener than I would leave it in place as long as possible (seeds!). But I’ve already watched it lean in the heavy rain and wind and I don’t want what happened to its much shorter sister in the front garden last year…

…to happen to it, that would be catastrophic. Besides I must be honest, it’s taking up a good bit of real estate that I’ve got plans for. So I close this tribute with a couple more photos, it’s been a pleasure to have you grace my garden Mr E. W. x R….

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment