Monday, April 1, 2013

Garden World, finally

I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve driven past Garden World on I-5 about 30 miles south of Portland. It’s one of those unfortunate locations that you can see from the Interstate but there is no easy way to get to. That meant in order for me to finally visit it needed to be a destination.

Remember how I was leaning towards a Ceanothus ‘Dark Star’ to replace the U.G.L.Y. bamboo? I was very tempted by many of the other suggestions, especially Garrya elliptica, but in the end decided to go with the ceanothus and bump it up a bit with a couple of purple leafed Ricinus communis in the same container for the first summer (thanks Deanne for that idea). As it happens Garden World has a handy online inventory system, so I knew they had a 5-gallon of said plant for only $23.95, looks like I had a reason to make the trip (and it's really not that hard to get to after all)...

I picked a great day to visit, my drive down was sunny but as I pulled into the parking lot the sky got dark and everything became a little mysterious, which of course made this huge Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar even creepier!

Then the sky opened and the downpour started. I ran for a covered greenhouse.

If you’ve ever been in a greenhouse when it’s raining then you’re familiar with how the sound is magnified. Even gentle raindrop makes a powerful thud.

Luckily I had plenty to look at undercover.

Agave 'Mateo' was on that cart of new arrivals...

And a couple of old stock agaves were 50% off!

This beauty was new to me, Dianella prunina Rainbow Twist...

Naturally I had to buy one.

Phormium...I was tempted, but no.

Beautiful!

For only $130 this huge (20 gallon) Gunnera could be yours!

Eventually the rain let up so I ventured out from under cover...

I like the metal work, but not as a $700 arbor.

Pediestals built from comon cement blocks, I like it.

Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca'

Moss on Blue Atlas Cedar!

This place is huge...

Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora'

Finally it was time to track down what I came for!

This one looks suitably deformed to join my garden of misfits, what is that? A handle?

There was a gorgeous Poncirus trifoliata up by the cash-stand.

And more half price agaves, but I passed on the spikes*.

I've got my Ceanothus...and I couldn't be happier!

(*okay I lie...I'm regretting not buying every single one of those half price agaves, what was I thinking???)

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment